Thursday, June 28, 2012

Crocs. *shudder*

Let the self-loathing begin. I swore, SWORE, on a stack of fashion bibles that I would NEVER, EVER own or wear Crocs. In fact, I think I belong to a group on Facebook entitled "I don't care how comfortable they are, you look like an idiot in your Crocs". It was my declaration against Crocs in my life. A public declaration.
Proof you should never say never. One of the things I'm looking forward to purchasing (aside from some colourful Yoga Jeans) is a pair of Crocs. Fuck. I feel like I'm betraying myself. That being said, I'm definitely going to buy one of those nice pairs that look like Mary-Janes. Or should I buy these: A-Leigh wedges (jesus, they even bear my name now. why? WHY?!?!?!). I think I'm going with these ones or their open-heeled cousin because if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it cute.
So here's my rationalization (I feel like that should perhaps be the new title of this blog - Leigh's Rationalized purchases), Crocs were in fact created for gardening. That was their original purpose. I spend the majority of my time in the garden, farming. I loathe wearing sneakers unless I have to, besides when they get wet in the field its terrible. if I go barefoot, I end up with too many rock-related or thistle related injuries and flip flops are ok, but they get stuck in the mud in a suction-cuppy, unreliable sort of way. Finally, slimy-wet Birks are horrifying. So you can see my dilemma.
How do I know Crocs are the perfect solution to my problem? (*hits head against wall*) Because my mum brought hers out for when she helps in the garden and I used them in a pinch (though not without thinking and re-thinking about it). Anyway, I put them on and then (to my horror) I realized the glory of the Croc. They are lightweight, comfortable, sturdy in the garden and they even have little comfort bumps on the sole - its like a little foot massage!!!
Even though I'm super enthusiastic about them for my purposes (gardening), I still feel a sense of derision at the people who insist on wearing Crocs year-round and with those stupid charms in them (who ever thought they were a good idea? do you really need your crocs to smile at people?!?). Really, is that necessary? But, who knows in 6 months I maybe right in there with the worst of them. I highly doubt it though. I will limit my croc-wearing to farming-related activities only. I hope...
Just so you know, I'm less than a week away from the end. I feel excited about it, but also feel like this period has been long enough to break the habit without breaking my spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment